Saturday, April 26, 2008

Soccer In The Snow

Today we woke up to beautiful skies but there was a chill in the air. We ignored it because if you ignore something, it tends to go away (like assignments deadlines, tax deadlines, etc).

Cullen's soccer game was scheduled for noon. We stood on our back deck 30 minutes before the game and decided that it was probably going to snow. Well, we first checked the weather forecast but you shouldn't believe everything you read or hear.

So we dressed for a winter's day and I am so glad we did because it was tortoise-go-back-in-your-shell-cold on the soccer field. We hauled chairs, snacks (I was on snack duty), camera, coats, soccer ball, dog and kids to the field and set up camp.

Warren realized we'd forgotten the after-game drinks for the kids and I was thankful to get back into the car and drive home with the heater turned all the way up. I found the cooler with the Caprisun drinks sitting at the back door (I blame Warren for leaving it there) and also grabbed a wollen hat for Cullen on the way out. As soon as I got back to our freezing camp, I ran onto the field (mid-game) and shoved the hat on Cullen's head.

Cullen's team games aren't good because most of team seem to have ADHD and we're thinking of changing the team's name from "Transformers" to "ADHD Kids".

As usual the "ADHD Kids" lost the game but our Cullen actually managed to get boot-to-ball 3 times and we were elated! Cullen was too.

We don't think soccer is Cullen's game - our first clue came last year when he started doing twirls and handstands during the game instead of chasing the ball. Then he started with hand shadows on the grass, chatting to the opponents while running alongside them. Our final clue was during the game last week.

He sat down in the middle of the field and burst into tears and declared he'd had enough. I've signed both boys up for a week's soccer camp in the summer so he's either going to come around and love the game or hate it even more. (My hunch is that it'll be the latter).

The coaches decided that 15 min for each half of the game was plenty and the torture of sitting in the freezing wind and watching the "ADHD Kids" lose was over in 30 min.

Thank goodness Starbucks is located a block away from the soccer field. We all enjoyed our hot chocolates on the drive back home.

No comments: