As a gift to myself for my 40th (September 13th - send presents!), I am going to run my 3rd marathon. I am planning to run the American Discovery Trail Marathon which is also the first marathon I ran.
I choose it because it is scenic, on a trail (easy on the legs and joints), its local, its downhill and they give pizza to the runners at the end of the race!

The race starts at Palmer Lake at 6:30 am on September 1st (Labor Day)...

...it goes through the town of Monument...

...through the Air Force Academy grounds...

...and ends at 'America The Beautiful' Park in Colorado Springs.
: : : : : : : : : TOTAL MILES: 26.2 (or 42 km) : : : : : : : : :
So...in order to do this properly, I have am committing to doing 15 things well:
1. Jump out of bed with enthusiasm on training days instead of punching the 'snooze' button on my alarm clock, wishing it is my day off from training.
2. Commit to run every week according to the specified distances even if it means having to use the track at the rec centre on crappy weather days (I'm an outdoor runner).
3. Wear my new $119 (yikes!!) running shoes instead of waiting for them to mature in the back of my closet.
4. Eat good, healthy and balanced meals which will help my running and stop eating everything in sight with the excuse "I can eat that because I'm training for a marathon".
5. Improve my running posture so that I don't look like an old, arthritic, sagging woman by the end of each run.
6. Commit to cross-train as specified on the training schedule instead of treating the cross-training day as a day off. (Hit that 'snooze' button again!)
7. Register for the marathon so I can't chicken-out halfway through training.
8. Stop comparing myself to other runners who are faster and thinner and who are wearing cooler running gear.
9. Commit to at least one 'fartlek' (nothing to do with gas but everything to do with 'speed play') each run which means humiliating myself as I sprint around the track or from one house to the next in order to strengthen my heart and legs while dying in the process.
10. Commit to drink water every day. (Sometimes I forget!!).
11. Promise to train even when I am in Pagosa Springs or camping with friends.
12. Commit to stretching before AND after each run.
13. Look forward with delight and excitement to that (dreaded) day when I have to run 20 miles on the Highline Canal when summer is at its climax. (13b. Plan to start at 5 am when its still cool!!)
14. Start saving for my 2nd pair of $119 running shoes which I will have to buy 3 weeks before the marathon (each pair should only be worn for a maximum of 350 miles. My training will take me over the 400 mile mark).
15. Sleep in on my days off and enjoy not having to run.
3 comments:
Can I do it too???!!!
I know I'm the annoying friend.
If I can do it...anyone can!
Anyone can??? I'm fairly certain I couldn't, but I do so hate to be left out!
Post a Comment