Friday, August 29, 2008

Mamas Got a New Pair of Shoes

Old in front...new in back.

I run my 3rd marathon in 3 days time and I have a new pair of shoes to run it in. Generally, a pair of running shoes should only be worn for 300 miles (482 km) and then should be shelved. That's because the cushioning and stability of the shoe wears down after each mile and the shoe can no longer be trusted to prevent injuries like shin splints after the 300 mile mark.

I have wide feet and I have to buy shoes that are extra wide to prevent blisters. Brooks are my preferred running shoe because they are so comfortable and I never get blisters with them (unlike the Reeboks I used before discovering Brooks).

Unfortunately for me, Brooks - and especially the extra wide variety - are sold in only 4 stores in Colorado. I left it a little late to get my 2nd pair of running shoes because of our CA trip and by the time I got around to getting back to the store (which is across town for me) to get my 2nd pair, they didn't have any. The store promised a shipment within 3 days from the Brooks warehouse but it never arrived in time. The sales associate at the store even called their competitors to find a pair for me but to no avail. So I resorted to going online this week (something I should have done while in CA) and buying a pair that happened to be on sale but then I had to pay extra shipping costs to get it delivered within 2 days of purchasing.

I ran 419 miles in total in my old Brooks and 3 weeks ago, when I ran my longest run in preparation for this marathon (20 miles/32 km), my feet hurt towards the end of the run and I knew I had to get new shoes. I will only have run 4 miles in my new Brooks before race day which is a little worrying because if they hurt in any way, they are going to be a killer for my feet during the race. So, I'll have my trusty old Brooks with Warren in case I need to change shoes mid-race.

Looking at the old shoes, there is nothing wrong with them except they are a little dirty from trail running - they serve me well even now on my short runs. I always feel bad buying a new pair of running shoes when the old ones look like they're only a month old. I compared the bottom of the new shoes to the old ones and I can see a big difference in the cushioning there between the 2 so that made me feel a little better because running shoes are not cheap!

I also have a new running partner - Zulu now joins me on short runs and she loves to go out with me. She's fast though and I end up being pulled along which is good for my timing! The 2 miles I ran with her on her first day with me was my fastest 2 miles ever.

After my 20-mile training run 3 weeks ago I vowed and declared that I wouldn't run a marathon again. Warren's cousin in has run the Comrades Marathon in SA which is an ultra (53 miles/89 km) and he was pushing me to try one. Well, I'm scarying myself now because I've started looking at the training programs for an ultra marathon - just looking mind you. I'm sure there are all sorts of qualifying rules for an ultra marathon which will prevent me from considering this craziness. I'm not a natural athlete so I struggle where others find it easy so I don't know why I am toying with the idea of an ultra.

I want to try triathlons next because of the overall workout you get from the training. Maybe I should concentrate on getting through the marathon on Monday first before I consider anything else!!!

1 comment:

Naomi Haverland said...

You should be so proud of yourself. I am kindof jealous because my running streak fizzled out just as yours began. I am imagining that I could be where you are now if I had kept it up. The fact that you are not a natural athlete makes it even more impressive.