For 9 years now we have warned, threatened and promised each other that we need to get our house painted and decorated the way we want it. Of course its taken 9 years just to put a plan together and our plans differ somewhat...to say the least. My plans will ultimately cost $25K whereas Warren's plans cost as much as it would to buy things from the thrift store (which I am not opposed to).
Our front room/living room is useless. We don't use it, its odd and we don't know what to do with it. We've played around with having various kinds of furniture in the room, having it as something other than a living or dining room and nothing seems to work. Finally, I came up with an idea to remove the wall separating the living room and the kitchen to open the area up. As I was going over my plans with our friend Ralph (who calculates bids for the construction company he works for), he kept adding $5K to each of my ideas. Five ideas later, I'm looking at $25K to redo the front room and kitchen and of course we don't have that money or would even think about spending that much on the house when we are trying to put money away for the boys' education.
If we had the money, this is one way it could be changed...
Before

After
(but without the sofas and with wooden floors)
So I sit with a room that is like a mole - its ugly and serves no purpose and the only way to get rid of it is to cut it out or cover it with lots of makeup. So for now I plan to use a lot of makeup on my 'room mole' to make it less noticeable and I'm still trying to figure out what to do.
Last night Warren and I poured over magazines and decorating books (borrowed from the library) to come up with ideas for the front room and we have one or two that may work for now. We'll try it and see how it works.

No comments:
Post a Comment