Thursday, April 23, 2009

Marmite & Matzos

As a child one of my favorite breakfast foods was a hot slice of white toast with butter and Marmite (when Bovril wasn't available). Incredibly yummy. Top that with a slice of cheddar cheese and you have 'to die for'. Grill or microwave the cheese/Marmite topped bread and you're in heaven.

Marmite is a yeast extract & is a good source of Vitamin B. It is a thick paste, great for spreading. Its black in color so it can be confused with chocolate but one bite of your Marmite sarmie and you'll know that its definitely not chocolate. Marmite is salty and quite strong to the taste. My new favorite way of eating Marmite is on an unsalted Matzos cracker. Salty, crispy and tasty. The perfect snack.

I had been hunting for Marmite in the speciality stores and couldn't find it. The new Safeway in Littleton has some British foods in it and I thought I'd find it there. I was going to go online to a company based in California that sells South African and British foods but didn't want to wait a week to have it shipped to me (and I'd probably buy a lot of other South African food through the site which I am trying to avoid doing).

I finally found Marmite in a Tony's Meat Market store on Monday and have been enjoying it ever since. Now to try and get my kids to enjoy it...

No comments: