Friday, May 29, 2009

Mexican Market

Jordan has been studying South America at school and one of the cultures he's been learning about it is the Mexican culture. As part of his study, the 2nd grade classes had a field trip to Garcia's Mexican restaurant. Its convenient to learn Mexico because we have a number of Mexican immigrants in the country who have brought about Mexican markets, stores and restaurants by the dozen. The night before the field trip I got a call from Jordan's teacher the night before asking me to be a volunteer because they were short 1 adult volunteer and because I'd quit my job the week before, I was free to do so. At the restaurant, I passed on the greasy food but did sample the dessert with my finger (cream cheese topping on a honey-soaked pita-like pocket) which was very tasty.

Today the kids had a Mexican Market day where they brought in home-made items of Mexican origin and sold them for pesos (the Mexican currency). Each child's desk was set up as a store with a sign that said 'open' or 'closed'. They were each given 20 fake pesos (pay-sos) and could buy items from the other kids. Parents were also given 20 pesos each and I bought a plate of Nachos with cheese sauce which Jordan and I shared and then gave the rest of my pesos to him to spend.

For his store, Jordan decided to make 15 pinatas (pin-yuh-tas) and 20 Mexican wedding cookies. We started making the pinatas the week using balloons, flour and water paste and newspaper. 3 Layers of paper-mache later and we were eventually able to cover them with bright crepe
paper. They turned out well and sold so quickly.

Nick, Jordan (with Mexican cookie and pesos in hand, ready to barter and sell) and Lennon.

Jordan brought home a bag full of homemade Mexican items which I am itching to throw away but he enjoys his 'market finds' and so I'll have to sneak them into the trash can when he's lost interest in them.



No comments: