Friday, November 26, 2010

Cullen's Indian

Jordan made an indian in 2nd grade (click on the words to be transported to 2 years ago in my blog) and I was pleased to see that the curriculum hadn't changed so Cullen could make one too.

"Indian" isn't the PC term for the people who first rightfully 'owned' America but since I'm not American, I can call them 'indian' and be excused. "Native American" is the correct term for them and so I apologize to those I offended but growing up in South Africa, we said "cowboys and indians" and not "cowboys and Native Americans" so I'm sticking with "indian".

The 2nd graders learn about Thanksgiving in class and are sent home with an old fashioned clothespin to decorate. They had a choice between a Pilgrim girl/boy or a Native American (aka Indian) girl/boy. Both my boys chose 'indian boys' because I think they prefer the whole image of one... adventure, wild, long hair, feathers in the hair, bows and arrows and riding horses bareback.

Pilgrims were more civilized and who wants to be civilized when you can be BARBAROUS?
(Confession: I had to look that word up since 'uncivilized' sounded too civilized.)

Cullen picked out gray for the clothing so I cut out a small square out of Warren's gray t-shirt and I hope he doesn't notice.

The indian had to have arms (clothespins don't have arms) so we made them from gluing toothpicks to the clothespin. The indian had to have feathers so I found some brightly colored feathers which I mutilated in order to make small head feathers for the BARBAROUS guy. Cullen decorated with beads and drew the face and markings on the clothes and finally, the BARBARIAN was ready to go to school with his indian.

He came home with a puffed out chest because he said that everyone in the class liked his indian the best. My BARBARIAN was happy and when my BARBARIAN is happy, I'm happy!

No comments: