Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Live on KRKS

So last week I was listening to KRKS (94.7FM) on the way to get the boys from school and tuned in during the Divine Calling segment with Stephanie Riggs.

She has a great voice, is confident and interesting. She also mentioned she'd been a reporter for years on TV here in Denver (never heard of her) so I was curious. I had to look her up.

On her website she wrote about supporting 'believers in business' and I thought Xocai.

She has finished 3 marathons and a triathlon and supports healthy living and I thought Xocai.

She helps kids with obesity and I thought Xocai.

So, I emailed her and asked if she'd be interested in trying my healthy chocolate. She emailed me back and said "YES!"

We met on Monday at Starbucks and talked about the chocolate. She ate all the samples I gave her right then and there and said she's already addicted.

Then she proposed that I appear on her show and promote my business (a fee is involved) and of course I said I would (even though I wanted to run away at that point. That kind of thing terrifies me.)

Within 2 days I had signed the agreement, handed over the cheque (gulp - thanks for the loan Warren!) and was recording my chocolate blurb in the recording studio.

Chris, the recording guy, was very kind and gentle - he is used to radio virgins. He got me to do the blurb a few times until I was happy with it.

Chris with the Xe Energy drink I gave him.

He took some time 'doing surgery' (as Stephanie calls it) to take out the breaths and pauses and had the 'spot' ready before Stephanie's show started.

I was called into Stephanie's studio, had headphones on and my face up to the mic way too quickly for my liking. Fortunately Stephanie took about 10 min to talk about other things so that settled my nerves a bit. I read over some info about the chocolate (having NO idea what she was going to ask me) and then waited for her to introduce me.

Getting ready for the show.

A pose during the break.

Talking to the guest who phoned in.

My Xocai spot lasted about 2 min and then it was over. I have since listened to the podcast of the show and I cringe! I am such an amateur but I guess I'm no longer a radio virgin. As Maya Angelou says, "When you know better, you do better."

These are the techs that run the show for Stephanie.

Stephanie invited me to sit and listen to the rest of the show so I did and it was interesting to see how it 'all goes down'.

And then I heard it! My voice! My ad! Over the air! They ran the ad and it was surreal to hear my voice. I sound so different outside my head. Now I know what you all hear when I speak.

I left the studio smiling and feeling good about my next 'air time' this coming Friday when Warren will join us to talk about the business.

A new experience...hopefully a new Xocai chapter too.

Oh yes, this is the gift that Stephanie gave me to say 'thank you' for supporting her show.

** FRIDAY'S SHOW **

Warren joined us on Friday and enjoyed being on the air. It was great having his support!

No comments: