After a meltdown in front of Warren, I was offered a weekend away by myself. This meant a weekend of not having to cook, clean, entertain & police children. It meant a weekend entirely on my own and I said a heartfelt 'thank you!' when it was offered to me.
I had a gift card for a treatment at the Broadmoor Hotel Spa in Colorado Springs from my last birthday and so I searched the Bed & Breakfast database for a place near the Broadmoor Hotel.

I found the PERFECT place called Hughes Hacienda, just outside of downtown Colorado Springs. Its a B&B just 15 mins away from the Broadmoor Hotel but its set in the hills, away from civilization although the B&B is very civilized! The hosts are a retired couple who have thought through every detail for their guests and my room was wonderful. There are only 2 guest rooms at this B&B and they are on separate sides of the house so I had complete privacy as did the other couple who were there. I only saw them at breakfast.
My balcony overlooked the mountains with a view of the city lights at night and I every afternoon I sat out on the balcony with hummingbirds feeding from a bird feeder 4 feet away from my chair.


I spent the first night listening to music, crying (relieving stress) and then watched a chick flick before turning in.

Breakfasts were incredible. We sat outside on their back patio, with humming- birds and other birds eating at the bird feeders around us. The host cooks gourmet meals for his guests and I was so impressed by his cooking skills.
I spent Saturday napping, reading, watching movies and had my massage at the Broadmoor Hotel Spa.
I got quite lost at the hotel because the Spa is not in the main part of the hotel so I wandered through the marble floor foyer and through small courtyard, passing a coffee shop that charged over $5 for a cup of coffee.

The Spa is very posh and I expected a celebrity to appear at any moment. I felt a bit out of place at the Spa and tried to pretend that I was a rich snob but still felt like I had a huge neon sign above my head that flashed 'FAKE'. I sat in the Mountain View Room with the other well-to-do ladies and pretended to sip my cucumber water and read a posh magazine but I was people-watching for the most part. I eyed every piece of jewelry, every made up face, every polished nail until my masseuse took me to her room. When I was with her I felt completely comfortable and relaxed. The massage was 70 minutes long and included a hand and foot paraffin treatment and I was in heaven. After the massage I was encouraged to spend the afternoon in the steam room or the dry sauna but since I had to disrobe in front of all the nip-n-tuck ladies before wrapping a towel around myself (or going butt naked) into one of those rooms, I opted for a quick get-away and spent the afternoon and early evening getting a bite to eat and browsing in a few of the stores nearby. Retiring to my room at the Hacienda was a perfect way to end the day.

On Sunday, after my gourmet breakfast, I left the B&B and spent the morning browsing the stores in Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City where I stopped off at the Old Colorado Creamery for ice cream before heading home to my family. It was a wonderful rest and a way of life I could easily get used to - although I'd miss my family too much!

No comments:
Post a Comment