Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Plus 1 Day!

As I said in a previous blog, we have a tradition in our family that's developed over the years where we celebrate the day after an event and its called "plus one day". So I got to celebrate my birthday "plus one day"...this time...alone.

A friend gave me 2 slabs of my favorite chocolate for my birthday and after church on Sunday (the day after my birthday), we went to Panera Bread for a light lunch. Warren and I were still stuffed from the previous night's dinner at The Melting Pot so we had soup while the boys feasted on grilled cheese and a slice of chocolate brownie cake. When we got home, the boys announced they wanted to see the new Clone Wars movie and so the 3 boys headed off to the movie theater soon afterwards.

I gathered up my reading materials, opened one of my chocolate slabs, pulled a throw over myself and hunkered down into my pillows and spent the afternoon blissfully alone. I don't think I read even one chapter of the 1st book on the pile because I was asleep in no time and woke up 4 hours later to find the boys in the basement watching Star Wars on DVD with Warren asleep on the sofa.

Even though the kids didn't understand how I could spend a whole afternoon sleeping and alone, it was a perfect "Happy Birthday Plus 1 Day" for me.

No comments: