Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Loft

Its finally done! The loft is 99% finished and its Christmas Eve. All that needs finishing are a few handles on the drawers, downloading photos from the old PC to the new one, hanging 2 hooks for the boys' backpacks and repositioning of some of the baseboards.

It all started when I decided that the mismatched desks, chairs and bookshelves looked horrible and Warren set out designing some hanging cabinets and desktops to replace them. He made one which was too heavy to lift never-mind hang on the wall so we nixed that plan and went with my original plan - to get used
kitchen cabinets. We visited Habitat for Humanity - a giant thriftstore of building and home interior parts - and found a 9-piece kitchen cabinet set that we liked and bought on the spot. It was delivered 2 weeks later and we got to work on it right away.


We decided to replace the carpet in the loft and hallway with wooden flooring and found an excellent contractor who gave us a good price and did a fantastic job. We had to live in the basement for 2 days because we couldn't go to the 2nd floor while the stain on the wood was drying and we had to keep a window open - in freezing cold weather - because the fumes were so bad.


We spent most weekends and most week nights in the garage, in freezing cold temperatures, backs, legs and necks aching in order to get the cabinets ready - and it was worth it. Warren had to fix some of the cabinets, adapt 2 of them, make 2 from scratch while I sanded, repainted and stained every door and cabinet frame. Warren also made the countertops for the cabinets. Once the cabinets were in, it took me 2 days to fill the cabinets with the books, artwork, crafts, home office stuff, etc., and clean up. I had 'the cleaning bug' so I spring cleaned the entire house as well and took 6 garbage bags of old clothes, shoes, toys, books and household things to the thrift store.

BEFORE ............................... AFTER

Now I have a loft that is completely organized and it is my favorite place to be in. I love sitting at the computer, writing my assignments, knowing that everything finally has a home. The boys do their homework in the loft plus we have all the art supplies and craft supplies in the loft for them. Its exactly how I hoped it would be.

No comments: